With George Noory
Live Nightly 1am - 5am EST / 10pm - 2am PST
The Great Depression - Shows

Coast Insider

Listen with Windows Player
High  Low
NOTE: We'll discontinue our Windows Media Audio in August 2015. Subscribers will still be able to listen to the show through our Coast Player in the link above.
Not a member? Become a Coast Insider and listen to the show 24/7
Advertisement

Coast Insider

Listen with Windows Player
High  Low
NOTE: We'll discontinue our Windows Media Audio in August 2015. Subscribers will still be able to listen to the show through our Coast Player in the link above.
Not a member? Become a Coast Insider and listen to the show 24/7
Advertisement

Last Show Recap

The Great Depression

Host Connie Willis (email) was joined by Joseph McMoneagle, known as the best Operational Remote Viewer in the history of the U.S. Army's Special Project-- Stargate. First hour guest, Philadelphia author, Thom Nickels (Amazon page), shared weird stories of the founding fathers of the US, including the secret life of Ben Franklin.

Upcoming Shows

Mon 07-06  Cells & New Biology Tue 07-07  True Paranormal Encounters Wed 07-08  The Light Alliance Thu 07-09  Space News/ Cryptid Sightings Fri 07-10  Witchcraft & Steampunk/ Open Lines

CoastZone

Sign up for our free CoastZone e-newsletter to receive exclusive daily articles.

The Great Depression

Show Archive
Date: Saturday - October 18, 2008
Host: Ian Punnett
Guests: Amity Shlaes

Ian spoke with economics expert Amity Shlaes, New York Times bestselling author of The Forgotten Man: A New History of the Great Depression. Shlaes discussed some of the causes that led up to the Great Depression and how people were affected by the catastrophic economic conditions of the time.

Foreclosures were common during the Depression era, Shlaes explained, noting that many of the people who were foreclosed upon owned as much as 90% of their homes. In that period banks offered interest-only loans on the other 10%, which made it almost impossible to pay off a mortgage, she added. The stock market dropped a staggering 80% and did not come back to its 1929 level until 1954, Shlaes said. There were widespread bank failures. According to Shlaes, more banks failed in the Great Depression than even exist today. Shlaes also pointed out that there was not enough money during the Depression, so people bartered and made their own scrip (a substitute for currency which is not legal tender) to pay their bills.

Shlaes examined the role Herbert Hoover's administration played in the Depression. She said Hoover was a "control freak" who supported the Real Bills Doctrine and Smoot-Hawley Tariff, measures that worsened the underlying economics of the country. Things did not improve under the leadership of Franklin D. Roosevelt. She shared a story about how the 32nd president arbitrarily increased the price of gold by 21 cents because "three times seven is a lucky number." Roosevelt also allowed wage and price setting under the auspices of the National Recovery Administration which compounded the economic problems of the nation, Shlaes said. In the end, Shlaes believes the federal economic policies of the 1930s extended the Depression much longer than it should have been.

Bumper Music

Bumper music from Saturday October 18, 2008

  • Moms
    A Tribe Called Quest
Advertisement