Founder of the Near Death Experience Research Foundation, Dr. Jeffrey Long shared the most compelling evidence to date for the reality of near-death experiences (NDEs), and their consistent message that there is an afterlife. Having studied over 1300 NDE cases, he noted that the reports are remarkably consistent worldwide, even those from non-Western countries. NDEs typically may include out-of-body travel, seeing a tunnel and mystical light, encounters with deceased relatives, and a life review.
Here are some of the highlights of the consistent patterns/evidence he's found:
- The level of consciousness and alertness during NDEs is usually even greater than that experienced in everyday life even though NDEs generally occur when a person is unconscious or clinically dead.
- What NDErs see and hear of earthly events in the out-of-body state is almost always realistic, such as what is going on around them at the hospital.
- Heightened senses are often reported, such as seeing with 360 degree vision. Several people who have been totally blind since birth have reported highly visual near-death experiences.
- Life reviews in NDEs include real events that previously took place in the lives of those having the experience, even if the events were forgotten, in a kind of "perfect playback."
- During a NDE, the people encountered are virtually always deceased. Were the NDE only a product of memory fragments, they would almost certainly include far more living people, including those with whom they had more recently interacted.
- The near-death experiences of children, including very young children are essentially identical to those of older children and adults, arguing against the idea of cultural pre-conditioning.
- NDErs often report seeing heavenly or unearthly realms, with colors and sights that defy description.
- It is common for people to experience major life changes after having near-death experiences. Typically, the changes are powerful, lasting, and life-enhancing.
Last hour guest, Richard C. Hoagland offered commentary on a meeting in the UK about the search for ET life, suggesting it's part of a disclosure process that we're now seeing unfold. He also drew connections between the Norway Spiral and the earthquake in Haiti.
Jeffrey Long Book Excerpt
Dr. Jeffrey Long (pictured) has co-authored a new book, Evidence of the Afterlife, which shares firsthand accounts of those who have died and lived to tell about it. Check out this free excerpt (PDF file) from the second chapter, which chronicles Long's efforts to collect NDE case reports.
Bumper music from Monday January 25, 2010