Log In

Not a Coast Insider Member? Sign up

Live Nightly 1am - 5am EST / 10pm - 2am PST

Friday Night Double Feature

 Friday Night Double Feature

The Child's MotherI have been a Registered Nurse now for approximately 5 years in the city of Kalamazoo, Michigan. My co-workers and I will never forget what had happened to us one night on Sept. 24, 1998. I was working the night shift from 7pm to 7am. Like many hospitals, we work a 12 hour shift schedule.

I was working on a pediatric unit back then. I was caring for a 3 year-old child that had suffered from multiple burns and trauma. The child was involved in an automobile accident. The mother was driving down a local highway, when suddenly she lost control of her vehicle and was hit head on by an oncoming semi-truck. The mother was killed instantly but the child, who was in the back seat had survived.

On the night of Sept. 24,1998 when I was caring for the child, all of the nurses, including myself, had finished making rounds and were sitting behind the nurse's station charting. The time was approximately 0200 in the am. We had baby monitors placed in various patient rooms to monitor the children so that we could hear them crying and so on.

We had one of these monitors in the room of the child that had been involved in the accident. I was listening to the child whimper a little and then he started to cry. Just as I was getting ready to check on him, a voice of a lady had come over the monitor. She was singing to the child and told the child, "Mommy's here honey. It's okay." The other nurses and I looked at each other in disbelief. We had no recognition of the voice.

I, followed by the other nurses ran down the hall to the child's room. When we got there we found that no one was in the room and the child was sound asleep. Was it his mother who had come back from the grave for one last goodbye? The nurses and myself who had worked that night believe so. I was never a believer, but I am now. I still get awesome chills every time I tell about that night on Sept. 24, 1998.


The Spanish VisitorYears ago my ex-husband and I stayed in a motel in Lake Worth, Texas fora week when relocating there. The first night I was awakened in themiddle of the night to find a middle-aged Hispanic man standing justinside the doorway of the bathroom which faced the bed. I lay paralyzedas I watched him raise a glass in his hand toward me, turn to the sinkas though filling it with water (but I heard no water running), turnback to me and salute me again. Then he brought the glass to his lips anddisappeared.

I woke my husband screaming that someone was in the roombut after investigating there was no one there. The bathroom had nowindows and the door leading outside was on the other side of the room.My ex said I must have been having a nightmare and went back to sleep. Aloooong while later, I too fell back to sleep, only to re-experience theevent exactly as before. I lay awake the remainder of the night.

Thefollowing morning I noticed some Spanish words on the bathroom wallthat had been painted over with white paint but were still visible. Iwas not able to read Spanish at the time and was too shook up to thinkto write them down. Needless to say, I made my ex switch rooms that day. I still wonder what the words were after all this time, and inretrospect I never actually felt the man was there to harm me. It wasjust so frightening at the time thinking someone was in the room.


More Articles