In the first two hours, research scientist John Lott offered commentary on the economy, and also spoke about the banning of certain types of guns and ammunition. The EPA may ban traditional lead ammunition, but the kind of ammunition that would be allowed is less useful for self-defense, and reduces the accuracy of guns over longer distances, he noted. The US government's stimulus program may have actually increased unemployment and the standard of living for many people, he said, explaining that a person laid off in one field might not have the necessary skills to work in areas being propped up such as solar energy.
Further, by stretching unemployment benefits up to 99 weeks, many people are searching for work longer, or not even looking anymore, he added. Stimulus programs are "moving money and investments into things people wouldn't have invested in on their own, as they weren't producing a good return," and because of this, our wealth is going to grow at a slower rate than it would otherwise, Lott suggested. For more, see his FOX News essay, You Call This a Recovery?
In the latter half, astrologer Mark Lerner talked about upcoming celestial alignments that will influence humanity. Here are some highlights:
- Starting this week, Jupiter goes back into Pisces for several more months. An opportunity for those with water signs to tap into Jupiterian benevolence.
- Mercury is in retrograde (which happens three times a year) until September 12th. The period of Mercury in reverse isn't entirely negative, but can be an opportunity to relearn or reevaluate things in our life.
- A Jupiter-Uranus conjunction (only happens every 14 years) occurs on Sat. September 18th. A spectacular time for anything that's cutting edge, highly scientific or metaphysical.
- Venus goes retrograde from Oct. 8th – Nov. 18th, and this can affect the emotions (particularly of women), making them more unsettled.
- America will experience its Saturn return (happens every 30 years) on December 3rd. Saturn has wonderful qualities like hard work and perseverance but can also represent worry, stress and depression. During a previous Saturn return period in 1981, the country had a serious recession, which may mean we're facing more tough economic times ahead.
Bumper music from Tuesday September 7, 2010
Midnight Express (The Chase)
Time After Time
Ain't Even Done With the Night
John Cougar Mellencamp
Eight Miles High
Pocketful of Sunshine
Crazy on You
See You in September
Nights in White Satin
Black Magic Woman
Age of Aquarius