- Science can only account for 4% of the universe. The yet-to-be-completely-understood forces of dark energy and dark matter are thought to make up the rest of it.
- Varying constants-- some laws of physics may have been different in the past.
- Cold Fusion-- at one time discredited and considered impossible, is showing some success in recent experiments.
- The WOW signal-- the interstellar emission picked up by SETI in 1977 has never been explained.
- Homeopathic remedies-- substances so diluted they may only contain a few molecules of the remedy, have demonstrated treatment value.
Placebo Effect— Belief may release chemicals in the brain that make you feel better.
Brooks also spoke about the nature of science, and tests being conducted at CERN with the Large Hadron Collider.